Tuesday 8 March 2011

Frances Tempest. Costume Design for Film. Forum. [March 1st. 2011]



I have been rather busy over the past week, so have been unable to update the blog until now.

Due to the fact I did not have an industry liaison, it was suggested I attend Frances Tempest’s forum on Tuesday 1st of March which was specifically based on Costume Design in Film. I am desperate to work in the film industry, I gained a First Class Honours degree in Film last year, and I had taken this MA in Costume as another way in which to get me into the film industry, considering that so many people are trying to do the same thing as me. Hence, I figured that if I was able to do multiple jobs, ie. Camera operator, sound operator, direction, editing, lighting, costume making, costume design etc. I might perhaps have a shot at getting a job in one of these areas in the industry. However, my knowledge of costume design in regards to film was severely limited. I had experienced costume making in the theatre during a two-week work experience at Glyndebourne Opera House, however, I quickly came to realise that the making department was not for me. But costume design was different from costume making, I just did not exactly know the significant differences between the two, so I felt like the forum would perhaps be a good idea to attend on more than just a liaison point of view.

Frances Tempest came across as very nice, friendly, and above all knowledgeable. She spoke about her current, on-going project called “Conversations with Costume Designers”. The project, involving recorded interviews with various costume designers of the past six decades sounded very interesting, however I was quickly disappointed to discover that the work was not finished – so I would be unable to access it – and similarly we would be unable to hear any extracts from the interviews due to a lack of technical skill. We were given quotes from the interviews, though unfortunately these were few and far between.

What she did state however was very interesting to me, mentioning little anecdotes from various people including; Julie Harris, Bob Ringwood, John Bloomfield and so on. It was interesting to get a glimpse of how the role of a costume designer has changed, while similarly making it clear the difference between a costume designer and a costume maker and also pointing out the pros and cons of being a costume designer in general – I would like to think that after this forum, should I get a job as a costume designer I will not accept the lack of credit costume designers seem to apparently be so calm about accepting. If I design something, I would specifically want people to be aware of this fact. I was also pleased to hear that for people like me who do not have a significantly good skill at drawing can instead present their ideas and costumes in another way, such as via a mood board or other presentations. As long as what your idea may be is clear and described well, it can be presented in any way you want.

These bits of information were very useful, however, I would have liked to know more about how one goes about getting into the film industry in the first place, as this is my prime objective the instant my time on the MA course ends. However, I have always considered the job as a costume designer as more of a back-up option should I be unable to get a job as a runner or camera operator. However, I will keep Frances Tempest in mind, should I need to contact her about access to the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment