Tuesday 12 July 2011

Group Critique

I am not sure what to think of my group critique. On the whole everyone seemed to like it, but then it seemed everyone said that my project lacked ‘depth and meaning’. I know I have been told this before by my tutor, but the point of this was so that in my PDP I can write an essay essentially as an accompaniment to my visual work on vyou.com. My essay would be written on the ‘interaction and development of character and audience through a virtual medium’. That is supposed to be the ‘deep and meaningful’ part of the work, while the visual, vyou.com part of the work, is in a sense an on-going experiment to track and understand how character and audience react on the website.

Several artists were suggested for me to research, there are tenuous links between all of them and my own work I admit.

Artists mentioned include:
Sophie Calle
Orlan
Oreet Ashery
Stellarc

But I genuinely cannot see nor think, nor be inspired by them to make my own work ‘deeper’. Most of the artists relate to the physical nature of the body, while using the addition of technology to help enhance their concept. However, I am using technology as a way to present and sort of explore a concept which I only vaguely have the tip of. I am not changing myself, I am changing a character which I interpret as being a separate entity of myself. Part of the project is in a sense, me separating myself from the character of Samuel Daniel, whereas it seems these artists all do exactly the opposite.


No comments:

Post a Comment